Recruiting versus portal

Like a lot of fans I'm sure, I struggle with high school versus portal. I really want to believe that we're using the portal to fill holes. I hope Bobby is correct when he says that portal usage will go down after this year. I understand we need to use it whenever possible, or needed. I just like the idea of developing our own guys.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, gus fleener said:

Like a lot of fans I'm sure, I struggle with high school versus portal. I really want to believe that we're using the portal to fill holes. I hope Bobby is correct when he says that portal usage will go down after this year. I understand we need to use it whenever possible, or needed. I just like the idea of developing our own guys.

I couldnt agree more. Fill a hole?? YES, sign me up.... take a guy that is marginally better or just a filler because he is an adult while we drive off better 'in development' talent....no thanks. These are 4 year turn arounds, I'll take a 2nd year so-so that could be great over a 3rd or 4th year so-so because he is known all day!  

Even Georgia and Alabama have been taking portals and their recruiting has been outstanding for 5+ years. Sometimes you miss on your evaluation of high school recruits and you need to fill a hole to stay competitive.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OTF12024 said:

Even Georgia and Alabama have been taking portals and their recruiting has been outstanding for 5+ years. Sometimes you miss on your evaluation of high school recruits and you need to fill a hole to stay competitive.

This! I think the issue is missing on evals and some players by year 2/3 just don't want to put in the work it takes to develop. Sark and staff seem to be honest about the end of year evals with players and we will lose the guys that aren't keeping up. There is no shame in going to the portal to find depth or if a rare exceptional player comes available. HS still is the primary driver of college talent, but grabbing 4-8 transfers isn't bad. 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, 40AcresDust said:

This! I think the issue is missing on evals and some players by year 2/3 just don't want to put in the work it takes to develop. Sark and staff seem to be honest about the end of year evals with players and we will lose the guys that aren't keeping up. There is no shame in going to the portal to find depth or if a rare exceptional player comes available. HS still is the primary driver of college talent, but grabbing 4-8 transfers isn't bad. 

That is one thing every Texas player will tell you:

Sark is extremely honest about where a player is on the roster, what they need to do and what their path is to get more playing time or become a go-to guy. He doesn’t soft-pedal bad news or critical viewpoints. Better to look them in the face and try to get a better result than just let something linger. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

That is one thing every Texas player will tell you:

Sark is extremely honest about where a player is on the roster, what they need to do and what their path is to get more playing time or become a go-to guy. He doesn’t soft-pedal bad news or critical viewpoints. Better to look them in the face and try to get a better result than just let something linger. 

Honesty is a refreshing character trait in 2024. It's amazing how people respond to it and when you get it from your leadership it means even more.

16 hours ago, OTF12024 said:

Agree. Also, when you recruit and develop at a high level,  you will have early departures to the NFL. A handful of portal players each year with an occasional year with a few more as needed. I like that Sark will do what is necessary to improve the roster.