Defensive Tackles

I know a DT in the portal would be nice and I fully expect Sark to grab a couple before next season starts.   However, I'm excited about some of the young guys already on campus.  I think Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton will be solid.  They may not be All Americans but they have a lot of game reps and both will be playing for NFL contracts. I expect at least the same level from these two as I saw from them last year and would be surprised if they both don't improve.   I think Tapp, Bryant, Bledsoe and Mitchell should all take a step forward.  The heavy rotation Texas used last year will be a huge benefit because many of these guys saw significant playing time.  I'm not expecting the dominance we saw last year but I don't think its doom and gloom either.

Edited by Shepdogsw
  • Hook 'Em 2

So...... There's this guy I watch on YouTube a lot (Bobby Burton) who thinks we need two of these guys. I do wonder, however, whether we really do. If we could find someone as big and talented as Sweat, hell yes! But, as you mentioned, I fully expect significant progress to be made by the guys that are already there. I don't see doom and gloom on the defensive line even if we don't bring in anyone through the portal. But if we could get a stud....

• Hook 'Em 1

If we can find a guy I'm all for it but I'm optimistic about our existing talent.  I think if Collins or Broughton were in the portal (glad they aren't) they would be the best defensive tackles avaliable behind Walter Nolan who Texas showed no interest. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Forrest Eldridge said:

He would be a good rotational depth piece, not necessarily a difference maker IMO. 

Which worries me as to why we are talking about him, unless there is some unseen recruiting advantage he brings for future players. I dont see how adding him would make us better

• Hook 'Em 1

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, David Latiolais said:

We haven't heard anything about the two 2024 kids left that have not officially signed, the kid out of Louisiana that is committed to LSU and the other kid out of Mississippi committed to Baylor, any updated recruiting news on them?

The recruit from Louisiana is committed to LSU and Texas is no longer involved. The player out of Mississippi is up in the air, but his tie to Texas was Bo Davis so it seems like a long shot right now.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Shawn Strayhorn said:

Which worries me as to why we are talking about him, unless there is some unseen recruiting advantage he brings for future players. I dont see how adding him would make us better

He was a rotational player on a 10-win defense. He's much needed depth if nothing else. Right now, Texas doesn't know what it has in Sydir Mitchell, Alex January, etc.

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

He was a rotational player on a 10-win defense. He's much needed depth if nothing else. Right now, Texas doesn't know what it has in Sydir Mitchell, Alex January, etc.

Honest question..........At what point are we sacrificing developmental/rotational snaps for guys that were recruited cause staff believed in them though??? I understand adding depth that has potential to be more than (read Trill Carter) but adding rotational that is known will never be more? I guess the question is, would we be better off waiting until spring to see if better is available as we already seem to be up against numbers

30 minutes ago, Realist Horn said:

Also saw he was a Mater Dei kid…

didnt realize this.... maybe makes it make more sense. Add to the pipeline and throw new coach a bone (kid has followed him before). Bobby already called me a dumbass for not believing (not in so many words lol) Maybe i need to go watch more games of this kid

Is not having a DL coach hurting us with some of the DL players? I feel like it's tough to recruit (portal or HS) a position when they don't know who will be developing and coaching them directly. I know DL is a strength of PK's but I feel like the lack of a DL coach is hurting us right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It is a balancing act sacrificing portal adds vs developmental snaps for younger players. However, I think you take a bigger step back trying to play to many young men that aren’t ready. Bringing in the few portal players pushes competition and is also a great source of knowledge for the less experienced players. The young players that are on the verge of making that step I think will still get valuable snaps. Just my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, K. Baughman said:

It is a balancing act sacrificing portal adds vs developmental snaps for younger players. However, I think you take a bigger step back trying to play to many young men that aren’t ready. Bringing in the few portal players pushes competition and is also a great source of knowledge for the less experienced players. The young players that are on the verge of making that step I think will still get valuable snaps. Just my opinion. 

I guess I just worry that we keep taking portal players and we will drive off young talent. Especially if that portal talent is not appreciable better. I get that this year is the exception and not the rule though

• Hook 'Em 1